Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What is your fee?

My service fees vary depending on time of year and day of the week (peak season/off-peak, week days, weekends, public holidays), location of your wedding ceremony and requirements of the ceremony. Please email me at or via the contact form with your ceremony date, time, venue and any other details you would like to share and I can give you a quote.

Q2. Can you speak Chinese?

Yes, Cantonese and Mandarin.

Q3. Where can we get married?

Anywhere in Australia.

Q4. How soon can we get married?

One calendar month from the day you submit your NOIM to me. E.g. if you plan to marry on February 14th, I must receive your NOIM by January 14th. You can email your NOIM to me, provided you post the hard copy original to me at a later date.

It doesn't matter if you haven't got all of the required documents ready at the time of submitting your NOIM. This can be arranged later.

Q5. Can the one month notice period be shortened?

Yes via permission from a prescribed authority. But your reason must fall within one of the following categories of circumstances before the court will consider your application. They are:

  • Employment related or other travel commitments,

  • Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations,

  • medical reasons,

  • legal proceedings,

  • error in giving notice.

Each application is considered on its merits on a case by case basis so there is no guarantee even though one or more of the categories may be met.

Q6. What is the difference between the official marriage certificate (Form 15) and the registered marriage certificate? Do I need to have a registered marriage certificate?

The official marriage certificate you will receive from me on the day of your wedding is the official evidence of your married legal status. It has a unique identifying number at the back and security features built-in so it will never be reissued if lost or damaged.

The registered marriage certificate is issued by the registry office and is an official identity document. It is essentially a computer printout of the details of your marriage as submitted by me to the registry office. You will need this certificate if you intend to change your surname on your driver's licence, or if you plan to register your marriage in an overseas country. You can apply for this certificate yourself after you marry (give at least 6-8 weeks before you apply). Depending on which certificate you order, your certificate will be delivered between 5 and 15 days.

Q7. How long is the NOIM valid for?

18 months.

Q8. What happens if you can't perform at our wedding?

In the rare and exceptional circumstances that it should occur, I'll refund you any fees paid to me and transfer the NOIM to your new celebrant.

Q9. How long does a wedding ceremony take?

Every wedding ceremony is unique however generally, it takes 10-30 minutes from start to finish.

Q10. We got officially married overseas but want to do another legal ceremony in Australia so we get an Australian marriage certificate. Can you arrange it for us?

No, unless the two of you first get divorced from that overseas marriage. You can't get married in Australia if you are currently married (whether to the same or different person).

Q11. Do you provide a PA (Portable address) system?

If your venue doesn't supply a PA, I can arrange for this.

Q12. What will you wear?

I always ask about your weddings colour scheme and theme so that I will arrive immaculately groomed wearing an outfit appropriate to your ceremony style.

Q13. Who can get married in Australia?

Anyone can get married in Australia and same-sex marriage is also legal in Australia since 9 December 2017.
You don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here.
To be legally married in Australia, a person must:

  • not be married to someone else

  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister

  • be at least 18 years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between 16 and 18 years old

  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying

Q14. On our wedding day, who can be our 2 witnesses to sign our Marriage Documents?  Do they have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia?

No, they don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.   Anyone can be a witness provided they are over 18 years of age and they were actually present at the ceremony and witnessed the bride and groom sign the documents. The two witnesses are the official legal witnesses to the marriage under law and their presence serves a legal purpose.